A kitchen renovation can be jump-started with the decision to update the windows in the room. The truth of the matter is, you are actually better off starting with the window selection of the renovation than you are any other element. This is because the layout of the kitchen can change drastically by the shape, size and placement of the windows.
The view from outside your home can be brought into the kitchen by installing a big, beautiful window. Here, you will find the answers to some of the questions you will have when it comes to upgrading the windows before you begin your kitchen renovation.
What kind of window/s do you want?
Smaller windows come in various shapes and sizes and are fairly easy to choose which will work best, but when you want large windows to embrace the outdoor scenery in the kitchen, you will have a few more difficult decisions to make.
- Bay Windows – typically constructed of four panels with two outer panels opening.
- Bow Windows – constructed of multiple panels that open.
- Picture Windows – large single panel windows that may or may not open.
- Garden Windows – includes glass shelves to hold planters for herbs and flowers.
- Awning Windows – open from the bottom outward to allow fresh air in without letting rain in.
What kind of window will suit your needs?
There are several things to consider –
- Do you want a window garden in your kitchen? If so, the obvious choice is a garden window.
- Do you like to open the windows in your kitchen? If so, you surely don't want a picture window.
- Do you leave your windows open when you aren't home? If so, awning windows are the best choice.
- Are the kitchen windows easy to reach from the outside? If not, you want windows that will tilt inwards for you to clean easily.
How do you make up the lost storage space when you remove cabinets to make room for large windows?
You might have to get a little creative to make up for the lost storage space. Consider adding storage behind the toe kicks under the cabinets, utilizing slide-out shelves in your pantry, and utilizing the studs in your ceiling to install hanging storage racks. The addition of a center island could also introduce additional storage that you would lose.
First things first, start by talking with your local window expert, like one at Alumaroll Awning & Window Co Inc. He or she will have a lot to tell you about the latest designs of windows and the features they are equipped with. Then, you can make an educated decision about how to proceed with your kitchen renovation.